How often do you really need to wash your bra?
Everyone always asks this in the summer. Always. I also know that this isn’t as easy to plan for as we’d like. Handwashing can take a long time and everyone is busy. It’s hard to make time and have your favourite bras out of commission for a few days but I promise it is worthwhile.
The answer to this question is pretty individual. Most people need to wash their bras every other wear or so in the summer and less often in the colder months. If you’re sweating profusely into your favourite bra three or four days a week then you should definitely be washing it often. This is about more than just smell: Sweat breaks down elastics and will drastically shorten the lifespan of your bra over time.
Can I really not put my bra through the washer and dryer?
Everyone I know cheats and washes their bra in the washer. Even my own mother does it! I know it’s common and I’ve even done it in an emergency, but you really should avoid it if at all possible. If you have to go for it then at least stick your bra in a lingerie bag.
Whatever you do, do not put your bra in the dryer. Ever. Heat is the greatest enemy of elastic out there and it will destroy your bra fast. Don’t even be tempted by the air fluff cycle.
How do I know if my bra fits?
The best way to guarantee that your bra fits is to go to a reputable bra fitting boutique and have them put you in one! If you can’t do that though, try these basic rules:
- Scoop all of your breast tissue into the cups when you try it on
- Make sure the center part (the gore) is flat against your chest in between your breasts
- No tissue should be spilling out anywhere. If it is, the cups of your bra are too small.
- Your bra band should be tight but also comfortable enough to slip two fingers underneath it.
- Your bra band shouldn’t ride up when you move around. If it does, your band is too loose.